n <'--Google Analytics-->

RVB's Market Musings

What began here as an avenue to interact and learn has far exceeded those goals.

If you are a prospective employer, please consider this site a place where you can see my passion for investing...

Monday, February 20, 2006

An Epiphany

Well, maybe not quite. But, I want to thank Geoff from Gannononinvesting for bringing to light in words where I differ from typical investors. You see, I have "quant" pieces in my market mentality. It's not my fault - when I began my investing endeavors, I had no finance, accounting, or business coursework to put in my arsenal. Thus, I began by simply studying markets. What makes them move? Why do they move? What kinds of investors are there?

I had no choice. How was I to find an edge as an investor? My thinking is still that in the long run I will be better off. I don't get attached to a business, it really can be a piece of paper to me. There is also an ownership piece, however, and as I learn more about owning and analyzing a business I am hopefully coming into my own. But that emotional understanding of what goes on in the markets will never leave. I'll always refer back to Trading in the Zone, by Mark Douglass (which I believe is the best book anyone who is in the markets can read).

So what I will continue to preach on this blog are both sides of the game. How to play markets, irrespective of the businesses that are represented AND analyzing companies. Having an open-mind is one of the most important keys to success in any field, and this one is no different.

I hope that you all will continue to support (or at least recognize) my stance, but also push on me from time to time by asking good questions or telling me I am flat out wrong. I may disagree. I may not. Furthermore I may not have all the answers, but I promise to learn with all of you out there.

Besides, in this business we just have to be right enough times that we're more profitable than an index fund, right?

2 Comments:

At February 20, 2006 11:34 AM, Blogger nodoodahs said...

Buy or sell short, investment or speculation, top down or bottom up, yin or yang, it's all the same.

The only difference is what tools to use. To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail. To a man with a toolkit, lots of jobs start to look easier and get done with less breakage.

IMO by being more diverse than a typical value investor or typical trader, you enhance your odds of success.

My two cents.

 
At February 22, 2006 7:08 PM, Blogger rvb1977 said...

I agree. Try to get the old fogies to agree though. Hell, what does it matter, anyhow?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home